Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On Being a Nerd

Yes, I'm a little bit of a nerd, or hipster maybe, whatever that really means. I:

Read sci-fi/fantasy books
Obsessively correct other people's spelling and grammar
Play a foam-fighting sport
Am more or less socially awkward (stereotypical, I know)
Volunteer with a cat rescue agency
Don't own a television
Subsequently, don't watch TV
Don't have a smartphone or even a texting plan

Anyway. I've seen a bunch of photographers write things in their blogs posts, when they begin to talk about the technical aspects of photography, as a small sort of disclaimer. Something along the lines of, "Okay, it's about to get nerdy up in here," or "Sorry for the nerdy jargon stuff, don't worry, we'll get back to your regularly-scheduled fluff in a moment."

I take issue with this. It confounds me as to why someone would apologize in that way for briefly showing how awesome, knowledgeable, or savvy they are underneath the generic, sugar-coated exterior they've fabricated.

I really think that each and every one of us is a 'nerd' about something, and I want to encourage you all to embrace whatever side of you that is. Don't shy away from it, don't say things like, 'oh god, I'm such a nerd,' but live it up, and love it, and let everyone else know you love it, too. I mean, you don't need to wear a sign taped to your forehead or only ever talk about your nerd-passions (unless you want to, I guess), but when the relevant subject comes up, don't hide away and don't be ashamed! Be loud and proud, or failing that, be cool and matter-of-fact... It mystifies the mundanes.

Stay nerdy, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. AGREED! I love learning about my friends' nerdy habits. I think it's adorkable. <3

    ReplyDelete