Friday, August 2, 2013

A Day in the Life II

Roll out of bed. Stiff. Yawn. Shower. The cat meows piteously but I don't have time for her, except for a hug and a scratch behind the ears.

Work.

I do something I've never done before and walk to 16th and H streets on my break. The idea is to see the White House, but really I'm looking at the park full of people that I'd never noticed before... Lafayette Square. I keep on to Farragut Square and observe all the fun, colorful food trucks in their natural habitat.

Work.

We leave later than usual but I still manage to make it home by 5:45. I pack up and hit the road, and my mind wanders peacefully. There's no traffic backups, surprisingly, and I make it to the farm we're shooting at in good time. A friend I haven't seen in three years is there. We talk, and eat, and look at the work they've done already today, and then I get to play with three-week-old kittens. Suddenly I realize coming here today was the best idea ever.


As we wait for dark, we troop down to the stables and begin setting up lights and shots and discuss the scene's blocking. It's an intense, emotional, pivotal scene for this season. I'm excited because I remember liking it when I read the script.

I enjoy watching the visuals on the back of my camera unfold. I enjoy the tension after the director calls "action," and the release when he calls "cut."

It's 12:30 in the morning but I'm wide awake. In bed two hours later, I'm trying to convince myself that it really is time to fall asleep and that the day is indeed finally over, and I think I must have succeeded eventually.

Here's the day from the perspective of the director.

No comments:

Post a Comment